Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Challenge: Vinyl Tablecloth Repurposed

I created a fun challenge for myself last week. I purchased a vinyl tablecloth for $3.50 and I wanted to see how many things I could create from my little purchase. (Just remember you can choose any pattern of tablecloth you want. I picked patriotic because it is almost the 4th of July) Challenges help me get my creative juices flowing and they are a great excuse to make some new treasures. The adventure begins...





Here is the tablecloth I purchased at Big Lots. It was oblong and measured 52" x 70".


1. Table Runner: I cut a section off the tablecloth using my rotary cutter to fit over one of my antique buffets.



2. Snack Bag: Cut two rectangles ...x.... Place right sides together and sew around edge leaving 1/4" seam allowance and small opening. Use small opening to turn fabric inside out. Fold over as shown below.


Stitch around three sides leaving the top open. Velcro or a snap makes a great addition.


I was surprised at what a hit the snack bag was. My son asked if he could use it every day.



3. Outdoor Pillows: I sewed two small pillows up and placed them on a red bench on my patio with my cute armadillo. (Armadillo is the Texas State animal)



4. Pennant: Cut triangles out of tablecloth. I kept the finished seam at the top as shown below. I used a hot glue gun to adhere the flags to white rope.


Here are the flags hanging up. I love how crisp they look without any sewing at all! Looks like we are ready to party.


5. Party Favor Music Makers: I wrapped fabric around toilet paper rolls and hot glued it on.


Then we filled them with beans and tied the ends shut. Shake, shake, shake!!



6. Patriotic Cards: I cut some stars out of the extra fabric and made up several 4th of July cards.





7. Hair Band: I cut out several stars and layered them on top of each other. I sewed a button on top and around a hair band.



8. Baby bib: First I traced around an old bib on two separate pieces of fabric. Cut out and place right sides together. I also cut out a small piece of clear vinyl to serve as a pocket. Pin and sew around edges leaving 1/4" seam allowance. I left a small opening to turn the bib inside out. Next, sew around the edges to finish it off. A snap was added at the top. This is one of my favorites!



9. Popsicle Holders: These can be stitched or made using hot glue. There is a great tutorial at Brown Paper Packages for hot glue. Click here. I just sewed around three edges and turned them inside out. I tried them out and they work even better then I expected.



Well,...that is it!! I am officially out of fabric. Thank goodness!!
  9 projects for $3.50

Parties I linked to:
  NightOwlCrafting  BLOG TITLE Fantabulous Friday!Ladybird Ln

12 comments:

  1. AMAZING!!! I am so inspired by this!! What a creative person you are!!! Thank you!!

    Delina
    dewthis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am coming over from Sweet Peas and Bumblebees. I agree what a creative person you are and thrifty, too. Those projects are so cute. I have a food blog, but I sew, quilt, and do crafts so am always looking for new ideas in those areas. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic challenge! Thanks for so many great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to use up all the cloth...nothing wasted and everything's so cute!

    I'm visiting from Ladybird Ln, but IRL I'm a neighbor to the north (an Okie!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! How great would those vinyl tablecloth pennant banners be to decorate a porch with!? I will be keeping an eye out for tablecloths now : )
    Jaimee @ craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. how awesome are you?! new follower & so impressed! come see me -

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! And a nice bunch of finished crafts, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have any tips on sewing the vinyl? I saw on one sit that you should not sew with a regular machine unless you were sewing it to fabric and kept the fabric next to the feeddog. Did you have any problems?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did sew it on my regular sewing machine without any problems. Because it was a table cloth, it was backed with that "white cotton." It was easiest to sew on that side.

      Delete

I love to hear what you think.I read every single comment and they make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...